If you have anything really valuable to contribute to the world it will come through the expression of your own personality, that single spark of divinity that sets you off and makes you different from every other living creature. - Bruce Barton

Pages

Thursday, March 25, 2010

I FEEL THE EARTH MOVED!

At about 1:30 in the afternoon today, an earthquake happened in Bacoor, Cavite. I was listening to the call that I was auditing when my officemate stood up from her chair and said “I am little dizzy.” I looked at her and I felt dizzy myself. The intensity is too strong to pass it up as a mere dizziness. We then realize that the earth is moving. Our office is located at the fifth floor. The movement can be felt anywhere from the floor to the ceiling. I felt numb and kept silent. I dare not move a muscle thinking that if I do I might intensify the earth’s movement. It was scary!

After the earthquake subsided I came to thinking what one ought to do during an earthquake. Your actions would depend on where you are when the earthquake happens. You could be indoor or outdoor if that happens. Then I realized that if it happens, regardless of where you are, you are supposed to keep your wit at all times. Presence of mind is the most important defense that you’ll have in case of natural disasters and not for earthquakes alone.

Here is some of what I should do if an earthquake happens in my house, workplace or just outside of my comfort zone.

1. Don’t panic!

2. Fall down to the ground. Cover yourself under a strong table, chair or any pieces of furniture made of strong materials.

3. Cover your head and face with your arms and squat or bend down in one corner of the edifice.
4. Stay away from things that could break or fall in your head like lighting fixtures, windows and walls.
5. Diminish your movement until the quaking has stopped.

6. Say a little prayer or whistle a happy song. It helps ease your nervousness.

7. Do not use the elevator when exiting from the building.

Earthquake can happen any time. Prepare yourself for the worst when it happens. Courage is undermined when you are unprepared.

Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

Post a Comment