If you have anything really valuable to contribute to the world it will come through the expression of your own personality, that single spark of divinity that sets you off and makes you different from every other living creature. - Bruce Barton

Pages

Saturday, March 20, 2010

HEARTBROKEN OVER A FOUNTAIN PEN

When I entered law school at the young age of twenty, I did not know that lawyers or law students are supposed to use a fountain pen. What is it? How does it differ from the usual Pilot sign pen that I use in my pre-law course? Needless to say, I am clueless as to how a fountain pen looks like. Good thing that I am not the only person in the class who was clueless about what a fountain pen is. I asked some of my classmates who were able to buy a set of fountain pen already of how much does it cost. They told me that the cheapest fountain pen they can find in bookstores cost more or less 300 Philippine pesos.

I am just a professional student who solely depends on financial support from my parents. I have limited budget for miscellaneous expenses including fountain pen. If I tell my parents how much a fountain pen cost, they would tell me to go for a Pilot sign pen instead.

I saved up a portion of my allowance daily so I can buy my own fountain pen before our Midterms in school. When I had enough savings, my classmate and I went to National Bookstore located in Recto corner Morayta Street in Manila to buy our first set of fountain pen. I picked a white fountain pen with gold rings on its body and on the lid of its cap. It was my priceless possession at that time.

Cross Century II Medalist Fountain Pen with Polished Chrome and 23 Karat Gold Plated Appointments and 23 Karat Gold Plated Nib - Medium (3309-MF)

I don’t remove it from its crystal box when I am not using it. I used it daily in taking notes from class. Fountain pen is a little harder to write because it has a big and round body unlike my old Pilot sign pen. When you write, it is supposed to glide on a smooth paper otherwise the ink will blot which will make your paper messy and dotty.

One day, I left my fountain pen in its box in my study table at home. When I came home from school, I immediately looked for it. It was gone! I remember to have left it just beside my lamp in the study table. I asked everyone in the house if they happen to see my fountain pen. Nobody knew where my fountain pen went. I am worried sick because I really love that pen. I always thought that it would live on to see me through until I graduate from college of law and become a full pledged lawyer. I was about to cry when my little sister came to my side and told me “Ate, I brought your fountain pen in school. It was taken by my classmate and he does not want to return it to me. ” I shouted and scolded her for taking my fountain pen without my permission. The following day, I went to her school and looked for the boy who took my fountain pen. The boy could not produce the fountain pen because he traded it for a toy with his playmate. My heart sunk in despair. There is no way that I can get my fountain pen back. I was really furious with anger against my little sister. I cried all day. I missed my class in school because I was so upset to even dress up and go to school.

As days and years went by, I survived the loss of my first fountain pen. I bought a new set of Parker fountain pen in three colors, that is, blue, brown and black to replace the white one that I previously had. I have forgotten my lost fountain pen. Now, I can only remember how I was heartbroken by a fountain pen and it makes me laugh every time I think of it.


Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

Post a Comment