If you have anything really valuable to contribute to the world it will come through the expression of your own personality, that single spark of divinity that sets you off and makes you different from every other living creature. - Bruce Barton

Pages

Friday, March 19, 2010

ENGAGEMENT RING: TWO OR THREE MONTHS SALARY RULE APPLIES?

14K White Gold Engagement Ring - 1.10CT Round Cut Diamond Ring(H-I Color, I1 Clarity), All Sizes Available

As I was researching for a work-related project, I chanced upon this ‘three months salary rule.” I thought it is the same thing from the three-month rule that I encountered for the first time in a local movie starring Bea Alonzo and John Lloyd Cruz. When I continued reading, I realized that it is different from the three-month rule that I know of.

The three-month rule that the article was talking about involves buying of engagement rings. It is said that if you will propose marriage to your girlfriend, make sure that you are prepared to give her an engagement ring worth two or three months of your salary.

When considering buying an engagement ring, it is difficult to be practical, for the reason that an engagement ring is a representation of love and it is so intricate to put a value to a feeling that is invaluable. Some people believe that a ring mirrors your love and commitment. Hence, the bigger the diamond, the deeper must be your love. Usually the rule of thumb is that the engagement ring should cost around two to three month’s of your salary so it would naturally depend on how much you earn when deciding to purchase one.

Now, what is my take on the three months rule on purchasing an engagement ring? I believe that the rule is a fairy tale. I admit that there is specific set of amount or percentage on how much one should spend on an engagement ring. This decision varies from individual to individual. Somehow, like any huge purchases that you may have had, you begin with establishing a budget first before you begin to start looking. Once your budget is set and you have several options available which are within the boundaries of your established budget you will finally be able to make a wise decision on which ring is right for you and your significant other. Your ultimate goal is to make sure that the ring you purchased is just within your means and living standards.

Whatever engagement ring you prefer will always be a stunning symbol of your affection for each other, and a constant memento of a very special day. So never mind how much you spend on it, it’s your love that will always be priceless.

View my Guestbook
Free Guestbooks by Bravenet.com


Bookmark and Share

5 comments:

goggleye said...

my girlfriend would kill me if i spent that much money on a ring!!! lol

Grazee's Lucid Interval said...

Sure she will Mark. It is not practical to spend that much money for a ring.

antique jewelry said...

I also agree that one should not waste so much money but the feel when one receives such kind of gift from his beloved is priceless.

Anonymous said...

I followed this rule, its tradition! The diamond engagement rings were so expensive, but I think it was worth it.

Engagement rings Louisiana said...

Great post!!! Thanks for sharing a great post...

Post a Comment